Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Paging Dr Google

Here's a tip for anyone that goes to the doctor. Don't ever tell a healthcare professional that you looked online and you think you know what's going on. It's more annoying than you can imagine...and it's also insulting to us. Let me give you an example. I had a patient just yesterday that did this to me.

What the patient said: "So I looked it up online, and I pretty much know what's going on. I just wanted to make sure you agree."

What I hear: "By reading a couple of random things online, I know as much as you do, even though you have your doctorate and hold multiple medical licenses."

Here's the thing about the internet - anyone can write anything and post it for the world to read. For example, this blog. The thing that the internet can't do is syphon through your individual situation, history, current symptoms, and evaluate symptom patterns.

Here's another thing that comes to mind when someone says something like that to me - this person already thinks they are right and they don't completely think that they need me and my expertise - therefore, they probably aren't going to be completely compliant with what I want them to do because they think their way is better.

Another thought when looking up medical issues online. The stories that make it online are usually the horror stories, because it's not worth posting the thousands of cases where everything goes as planned. It's far more interesting to post the 1 case out of a million that went completely wrong.

As for websites that list symptoms of different conditions - they just list symptoms. They don't explain the symptoms. In any given week I can have trouble sleeping, have stomach pains, experience nausea, and be very tired. All of these are symptoms of cancer. Does this mean I have stomach cancer? No. Each of my symptoms can be explained. People without medical training don't rationalize these things though. They just read them and freak out.

Take home message: be careful what you read. It's not a bad thing to learn all that you can, but think about what you're saying when you go see a medical professional. If you're seeing them for their expertise, trust their expertise unless something really tells you otherwise. If you think you know better, then don't waste our time. Stay home and hope you're right.

1 comment:

Jessica Holemon said...

HAHA Love you Shaun! So true!