Monday, November 8, 2010

I'm back...and employed.

Ok, I know I've been away quite a while. Hopefully I am now back to regularly posting. So to catch up, I graduated with my Doctorate (you probably knew that), I passed my board exam for physical therapy and my law exam (practice laws) and I am now a licensed physical therapist.

On Spetember 30th I accepted a job and signed a contract with Foothills Sports Medicine. It's a great company that has 12 clinics around Phoenix. I am currently working in their Ahwatukee clinic, which was the first clinic in the company and is still the corporate headquarters. The owner of the whole company and the billing department is at this location. The opportunity with this clinic came quite unexpectedly. I was actually planning on working for a different clinic. When that one fell through, the Arizona Diamondbacks' medical staff pointed me towards this company. After observing in their South Gilbert clinic for a day and working a couple of athletic training side jobs for them, I decided to send my resume to their owner. Less than a week later, I was signing my job acceptance letter.

It has been 3 fun and interesting months since I started. It has been interesting in that I have learned a lot about myself, my job and about different injuries. I'm starting to truly believe that experience accounts for a lot. I hate to admit it, but these first few months have kinda been blindly going by instinct with some cases. Over time I've learned to trust these instincts and fit all the pieces together, connecting the dots from learning in grad school to now treating a patient. I've made my mistakes so far, and I will continue to do so, but I'm getting better with every patient and picking out more things that I missed before.

With this new job, Natalie and I are learning new schedules and bracing ourselves for more schedule changes as the possibility of a better job for her lingers. I think with all the schedule changes, this last 3 months have gone faster than any time period before it. It's hard to believe that Christmas is only 3 days away. So since I have more Christmas preparations to complete, I will get back to that and I will update you more after this whirlwind of an approaching holiday is over.

No comments: